The Transient Landscape

The Same old View

(From the North Quay, Padstow, across the water to Rock)

I am lucky enough to live in what I feel is the most beautiful place on earth. But it is quite easy to sometimes walk past the same beautiful location and don’t comprehend that the scene has changed, sometimes we don’t observe and other times we are just to busy to look, but when you have the time to stop, stand back and look, you will see that the scene has changed noticeably. Photography helps us to stand back and become aware of the every changing landscape.

The Same old View – is a project that I have been working on for almost 2 years and it illustrates how different a landscape can look when all the images are viewed next to one another.

My workflow consisted of the same sequence of connected steps.

  1. I walked to my viewpoint
  2. Set up Camera and Tripod
  3. Take images over a 15-minute period
  4. Pack up camera and tripod
  5. Walk home

These steps were consistent on 95% of the images taken, the other 5% were taken on a mobile phone while just passing or when taking a long exposure. The images were taken over the 15-minute period and I took what was there, sometimes nothing happened and other times I was continually taking images.

I must add that that for the first six months of this project (which was about 200 photographs) I had taken the images from the wrong place and changed to the view you see here.

Transient

  • (a.)Hasty; momentary; imperfect; brief; as, a transient view of a landscape.
  • (a.)Staying for a short time; not regular or permanent; as, a transient guest; transient boarders.
  • (a.)Passing before the sight or perception, or, as it were, moving over or across a space or scene viewed, and then disappearing; hence, of short duration; not permanent; not lasting or durable; not stationary; passing; fleeting; brief; transitory; as, transient pleasure.
  • (n.)That which remains but for a brief time.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s