South Western Hotel
From 1899 until 1967 Padstow railway station was the westernmost point of the former Southern Railway. The building of The Metropole Hotel (formerly South Western Hotel) started in 1900 and was completed by 1904, the building cost £12,000 to complete including fittings. It was built to accommodate the many people who came to visit Padstow. It was constructed and owned by John Cory and Sons, a ship-owning company, the hotel was built at the same time as the railways extended into Cornwall. The hotel was formerly known as the South western hotel from the name of the railway line but later became the Metropole hotel.