THE ROMAN MILESTONE
Near the start of the lane leading to St Nectan’s Glen is a Roman milestone dating to the 3rd century. It was discovered in 1919 being used as a gatepost. The milestone is one of just 5 in Cornwall and one of 20 in England still in place. The Latin inscription reads:
C DOMI N GALLO ET VOLUS
which translates as ‘For the Emperor Caesars our lords Gallus and Volusian’.
This suggests that the stone dates to the short reign of the emperors Gallus and Volusian, from AD 251-253. There is another Roman milestone in St Materiana’s church in Tintagel, suggesting that there was a major Roman road running near both sites.